Lyssaria
Never say never.
Never say never.

Female
Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2006-11-14

PostSubject: Intelligence: What is it?   Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:12 pm

The Case:
Some people use their IQ scores to compare each other in overall intelligence.

The Point:
Since you cannot simply look at someone and say "what an intellectual" it takes time and experience to learn the details about each individual. The only shortcut would be finding something that summarizes it all up, would this be the IQ?

My View:
I think there are different aspects that comprise what intelligence is. Whether it is capabilities proven through testing, or even just street smarts. There can't be just one test that tells everyone how smart you are. It is a summary that gives an idea to teachers and colleges, but it doesn't summarize you as a whole.

Discuss:
What do you think it takes for someone to be seen as intelligent?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sonicspike
Present.
Present.

Male
Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2007-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Intelligence: What is it?   Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:21 pm

Ah, such a nice subject matter we have here.

I believe intelligence comes in many, many forms. There is no such thing as a person being intelligent based on one thing alone. What I mean to say is that intelligence shouldn't be measured on one's skills in math, science, or some other complicated field of study.

To a degree I don't believe that people should attempt to rate others as intelligent or not unless they do it within a certain area. Obviously your mechanic is going to know more about cars than your math teacher who only knows math. Does that make either one more intelligent than the other? Not really, each has their own area of intelligence.

Now within these small "sects" I believe rating people becomes a bit easier. If I know more about photoshop than you do then you might say I've got more intelligence when it comes to photoshop (though after seeing some of your work, I'd say it's about a tie, you do some nice textures!). Any mechanic has more intelligence about vehicles than I do, just like any math teacher is probably going to be better at math than I am.

When I call someone smart, or intelligent I'm usually telling them that I think they have a lot of common sense type intelligence that surprisingly most lack. People who can cleverly word things on the spot, come up with great poems/stories quickly, learn things fast just from playing around with them, and people who can get technical about something and win because of it are generally the type of people I refer to as smart or talented, but that doesn't mean other people are stupid, it just means these people have intelligence on a different level.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.avatar.imvu.com/sonicspike
Eternel
LoL Administrator
LoL Administrator

Male
Number of posts : 704
First Name : Mad/Ethan
Registration date : 2006-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Intelligence: What is it?   Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:49 pm

Sonicspike stole my words but yet...

I also think that intelligence isn't only about logic, QI or talent but on how you know to live. Someone that has the life experience, that understands life and know how to deal with it and simply take advantage to live it at its best makes this person smarter than anyone else to my eyes.

View user profile http://avatars.imvu.com/Eternel
Scarlet
Never say never.
Never say never.

Female
Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2007-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Intelligence: What is it?   Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:30 pm

Different people see you as different things.
As 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' so is intelligence to an extent.
If you are not academically recognised as intelligent then you can be seen as smart by one person and not by another.
That's all I have to say really, I'm not good at explaining what I think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_mypage.php?user=3098726
Simski
Never say never.
Never say never.

Male
First Name : Same as BinDjin.
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Intelligence: What is it?   Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:54 pm

The IQ only mesures your Logic and Math Skills.
You could still be a genious in for example Art/Gymnastics/Music/Social without having a high IQ.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_mypage.php?user=1748823
icecold656
I'm addicted...
I'm addicted...

Female
Number of posts : 304
First Name : Aileen
Registration date : 2007-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Intelligence: What is it?   Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:37 pm

What do you think it takes for someone to be seen as intelligent?

For me, I can't see someone having to be labeled as intelligent just by the awards that he/she gained, the medals, diplomas, trophies, grants, whatever... That is definitely not a basis as being intelligent--I call them as winners... But I am not saying that these guys who have this accomplishments are dumb or so-so... These guys have the ability to surpass others in degrees or in school,t hat's a great thing, quite impressive--but if such ciscumstance is drawn in practicality or in life, we often see them backing down--they might have been too confined with what they've learned that they've forgot to see the outsie world---the real life, the real battle or striving.

And so... Intelligence isn't confined within those books or a four-cornered room alone... I can see someone as intelligent if he/she knows how to lvie in this world.. If he/she has a sense that no one could have ever seen...

Being smart isn't seen through only accomplishments alone---one might have to go on another way to see the intelligence..

Gah... I think I'm just repeating my words.. But all in all, I can only call someone intelligent when that person applies what he/she has learned in life in an interesting , and great kind of way.... Has the practicality and yes, has triumphed the consequences of life with his wits alone and experience... And sense of mind...

P.S:: Sorry I'm not too good at explaining as well, I end up in jumbo
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://avatars.imvu.com/icecold656
Simski
Never say never.
Never say never.

Male

PostSubject: Re: Intelligence: What is it?   Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:49 am

I only see people with good social and logic skill as "intelligent".
I can't really judge them by their math skills or their art...
Back to top Go down
sonicspike
Present.
Present.

Male

PostSubject: Re: Intelligence: What is it?   Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:01 pm

Simski wrote:
I can't really judge them by... their art...
I recently got rather bored and figured I'd attempt to make a planet in photoshop after being inspired by the work of another artist that I thought was simply amazing as far as planets go, so I did some research first to find some nice tutorials on the subject. Well one person by the name of Greg Martin talks about a million things about creating them without even giving a tutorial. He talks about how the light must/should look, how they nebulae might look, and lots of other art related things that deal with space. I was actually rather surprised how much this artist knew about space.

When it comes to art, and even photoshop itself, I'd say this man is pretty intelligent. I think it can be based on art, but because art is based on the opinions of individuals it's harder to determine who would be "intelligent" when it comes to art. You might like Picaso, and I might think his works are cheaply done, but that doesn't affect his potential intelligence within art itself. I'd say to be intelligent in art you need to not only be able to create that masterpiece that can inspire others to become even greater, that piece that you just know would sell hundreds, or even thousands, of copies, but you also need to be able to know about the subject at hand, you need to know about many techniques and lots of other things that aren't even directly art related, such as how light reflects off of things, etc.

I'd say knowing this certainly improves ones ability to make better looking art, assuming they know how to use the medium they've chosen. To me though, that is intelligence in the field of art. I can still admire the works of everyone if I think they look good, and I can still praise them, but people like Greg Martin who purposely add things in certain areas because it will make the end result look more realistic, those people have true intelligence in art.

So basically, I summed up what intelligence in art is to me.
Back to top Go down
Simski
Never say never.
Never say never.

Male

PostSubject: Re: Intelligence: What is it?   Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:03 pm

sonicspike wrote:
Simski wrote:
I can't really judge them by... their art...
I recently got rather bored and figured I'd attempt to make a planet in photoshop after being inspired by the work of another artist that I thought was simply amazing as far as planets go, so I did some research first to find some nice tutorials on the subject. Well one person by the name of Greg Martin talks about a million things about creating them without even giving a tutorial. He talks about how the light must/should look, how they nebulae might look, and lots of other art related things that deal with space. I was actually rather surprised how much this artist knew about space.

When it comes to art, and even photoshop itself, I'd say this man is pretty intelligent. I think it can be based on art, but because art is based on the opinions of individuals it's harder to determine who would be "intelligent" when it comes to art. You might like Picaso, and I might think his works are cheaply done, but that doesn't affect his potential intelligence within art itself. I'd say to be intelligent in art you need to not only be able to create that masterpiece that can inspire others to become even greater, that piece that you just know would sell hundreds, or even thousands, of copies, but you also need to be able to know about the subject at hand, you need to know about many techniques and lots of other things that aren't even directly art related, such as how light reflects off of things, etc.

I'd say knowing this certainly improves ones ability to make better looking art, assuming they know how to use the medium they've chosen. To me though, that is intelligence in the field of art. I can still admire the works of everyone if I think they look good, and I can still praise them, but people like Greg Martin who purposely add things in certain areas because it will make the end result look more realistic, those people have true intelligence in art.

So basically, I summed up what intelligence in art is to me.

Heh, I didn't mean like that...
Sure when you put it like that it seems to be a good way of judging people.
But I only judge peoples intelligence of on how they act to me and others.
And for that they need logical skill and social skill.
Back to top Go down
sonicspike
Present.
Present.

Male

PostSubject: Re: Intelligence: What is it?   Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:27 pm

Ah, haha, good point. I can see what you mean, but some of the "intelligent" people can be real a-holes, and some of the dumb people can be nice, and the opposite can be true as well.
Back to top Go down
Simski
Never say never.
Never say never.

Male

PostSubject: Re: Intelligence: What is it?   Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:19 am

sonicspike wrote:
Ah, haha, good point. I can see what you mean, but some of the "intelligent" people can be real a-holes, and some of the dumb people can be nice, and the opposite can be true as well.

That is why I judge them by both Logic skill and SOCIAL.
Thet get bad social grades if they are a-holes =D
Back to top Go down
Lyssaria
Never say never.
Never say never.

Female

PostSubject: Re: Intelligence: What is it?   Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:17 am

I seem to be very picky with judging people, I look past all the obvious things that they offer for everyone else to see and look for the things they try to hide Wink

Some people judge intelligence even by how others dress..such as a business suit and glasses may give off a more intelligent appearance. I leave fashion and smarts in two seperate categories because people can be taught how to dress reasonably.

Intelligence to me isn't in what someone can learn or force upon themselves, it's what naturally happens inside. Capability can be proven through awards and test scores, but if someone cannot apply it to general logic and life...they fail in my mind.

I don't judge people until I actually have witnessed them being idiots. What does it take to be an idiot? That's a whole other debate Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simski
Never say never.
Never say never.

Male

PostSubject: Re: Intelligence: What is it?   Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:34 pm

Rasists/Nazis/Gay haters loose about 7 out of 10 smart points from me...
Back to top Go down
xlooneylisax
Never say never.
Never say never.

Female
Number of posts : 118
First Name : lisa

PostSubject: Re: Intelligence: What is it?   Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:57 am

iv'e never thought of this before...i suppose they have to be clever in there proffesion and have common sense =/
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://avatars.imvu.com/Guest_xlooneylisax
EternaSky
Present.
Present.

Male
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2007-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Intelligence: What is it?   Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:57 am

IQ - a test of one's ability and limit in processing information in a logical manner

EQ - a test of one's emotional capability of withstanding stress, trauma, worldly things

Wisdom - wise people, philosophical people who are spot on. I.E. I consider Winston Churchill as a Wise Man

Intelligence - one's measure of logic processing, MENSA covers this with IQ tests.

Expertise - Automobile Mechanic fixes cars better than a Automobile Engineer. Automobile Engineer designs cars to be fixable and writes the vehicle manuals for Mechanics to toy around with.

Hope this sums much up..

I love language for the fact it is possible to break words apart which hold different meaning...

In chinese, 智茛 (zhi gen) is one's measure of aptitude of learning whereas 智商 (zhi shang) is one's measure of intelligence and 智慧 (zhi hui) is One's wisdom. The reason why the first word is 智 (zhi) is because it is symbolic for Knowledge

With combination of languages, we can call all such 'tests' measures of Knowledge...

One is not any less knowledgable than another, just less aptly skilled in different areas of expertise whereby expertise can even be the daily moving around of your limbs (acrobats vs disabled)

The world is vastly different. The day we can fully admit and acknowledge this fact without a moment's hesitation of calling a human by race, religion or colour will be the day Humanity reaches the next step on Evolution...

And so, I digress... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://avatar.imvu.com/EternaSky
Lyssaria
Never say never.
Never say never.

Female

PostSubject: Re: Intelligence: What is it?   Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:40 pm

Thank you for sharing your wisdom with us EternaSky Razz

It's easy to argue about certain definitions but sometimes its best to pick up a dictionary and read a little bit on certain terms. The dictionary was man-made, it has its faults and will always have to be updated with time. The fact that we can't have completely solid ground to stand isn't too reassuring..

I know sometimes I mess up with the definition of some words and it makes it hard to relate to other people. Then there's slang..

Which brings up another point. If someone does not know how to express their thoughts with words, does it make them dumb?

There are a lot of stereotypes of people being dumber such as those with accents. What do you think of these stereotypes?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sonicspike
Present.
Present.

Male

PostSubject: Re: Intelligence: What is it?   Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:02 pm

Well, we all know the English are pretty well known for their accents compared to Americans (since both primarily speak English as their language). Neither of these two sets of people are generally seen as dumb, unless you count the fact that we have a monkey for a president, then you might say we are idiots, but that's just a joke and the subject of another debate altogether.

Anyways, back on track, I'd say that it is what is inside a person that makes them smart or not. There is some condition known as dysgraphia that I apparently have, well, they said that when I was in about 4th-5th grade or so I think. I always ignored it and passed it off since I had never heard of it and it sounded more like my mother creating an excuse as to why I didn't like doing homework more than any other kid. Eventually one day I got bored and looked it up, and it has to do with more than just writing.
Quote :
"Dysgraphia" is a learning disability resulting from the difficulty in expressing thoughts in writing and graphing. It generally refers to extremely poor handwriting.
Quote :
These students often have difficulty with the sequence of letters and words as they write. As a result, the student either needs to slow down in order to write accurately, or experiences extreme difficulty with the "mechanics" of writing (spelling, punctuation, etc.). They also tend to intermix letters and numbers in formulas. Usually they have difficulty even when they do their work more slowly. And by slowing down or getting "stuck" with the details of writing they often lose the thoughts that they are trying to write about.
Now as you can see this type of condition can severely affect a person's ability to write. When writing I actually get ahead of myself and I might spell "ahead" like this "aead" and have to try to correct myself. If someone were to read this without knowing me I think it's safe to assume they might think a child wrote it because of the terrible (and I do mean terrible) hand writing and the constant errors.

I'm actually pretty smart when it comes to common sense type things. I figured that if a parent ever asks if you've been on a long time (on the computer) then you can freely tell them, "Actually, I've been off of the computer for several hours today, and I just got back on about 20 minutes ago" without lying. How? Well, you spent several hours sleeping, and going to the restroom, stretching, getting something to drink, all of these count as getting off the PC. So, despite having terrible hand writing and a continual stream of errors when writing, I'd say I'm pretty smart in some areas.

My point to all of this is that even if a person might appear to be dumb because they aren't like those around them, that doesn't mean they are. I actually have lots of wild ideas running through my head at times, but it's usually extremely hard to translate them to words, but that doesn't make me an idiot just because I can't take a thought or an image and draw it or word it out properly.
Lyssaria wrote:
Which brings up another point. If someone does not know how to express their thoughts with words, does it make them dumb?
Not at all, I'd say I'm a good example of that at times. It's nothing serious, only small issues with writing and conveying ideas from time to time, but do you think I'm dumb? Of all the people I know in life personally, I'd say (aside from teachers) I'm in the top 3 of the smartest of smarts. Of course that is just my own personal view.
Back to top Go down
Eamonn2007
I'm NEW!
I'm NEW!

Male
Number of posts : 4
First Name : Éamonn
Registration date : 2007-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Intelligence: What is it?   Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:31 pm

It's useless trying to define intelligence. As long as you can spot and appreciate the variety, then it doesn't become an issue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://avatars.imvu.com/eamonn2007
Lyssaria
Never say never.
Never say never.

Female

PostSubject: Re: Intelligence: What is it?   Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:11 pm

Eamonn2007 wrote:
It's useless trying to define intelligence. As long as you can spot and appreciate the variety, then it doesn't become an issue.

I'll raise my glass of wine to that Razz

Sometimes its best to sit back and live life rather than attempt to define it, but if we were all in the mindset there'd be no debating. I simply have to have my debates! *clutches the threads*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dill2459
Present.
Present.

Male
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2007-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Intelligence: What is it?   Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:54 pm

INTELEGENCE is knowledge nuff said Smile Razz XD

If common sense is right why am I always wrong
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.imvu.com/KingPimp24
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Intelligence: What is it?   

Back to top Go down

Intelligence: What is it?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
IMVU :: LoL Forum & IMVU :: LoL Forum Archives-
Jump to: